Saturday 24 August 2024

The Flower Of the Fal Schooner Embroidery - Restoring

 


The Flower of the Fal -Fast Top Sail Fruit Schooner .

I made this years ago . I think it was the first crewel embroidery that I have ever done . 

I drew the picture bt eye from a photo of her , with a pencil , onto a piece of old sack cloth .It is not very accurate .

 My mum had taught me how to spin and I had got myself a spinning wheel . I gathered , dyed and spun all my fleece from local sheep and acquired some fleece from the little brown Soay Sheep that used to roam the land above the cliffs at Predannack  .

 I dyed the fleece with flowers and leaves growing in my garden .Some have faded a little bit, but not by much .

For the sails I used a mixture of sheep and Golden Retriever fur brushed from my beautiful old dog .

As I have already said , it is not terribly accurate and I have been meaning to re-do one of the sails which looks as if it is flying loose and doesn't make sense .

My oh my how the years have flown and now I have found a hole in the woolen tweed fabric that I'd stitched around the edge to make it into a cushion . And over the years it has been hugged , bashed , sat on , plumped up , the wool snagged on bags and paws .

And now to add insult to injury ...... moth holes !

I have decided to take the cushion apart and try and restore it as best I can .

 This holds many memories in the making of this embroidery and she was our family ship .

                                                     to be continued  ⚓🐬🌿


2 comments:

  1. What a project! Sorry for not replying to your comment while back, I have been away from blogging for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Radka💐I hope you are well. It's good to take a break from it all every now and then . As to this old project, my stitching is not the best on it , but I enjoyed doing it at the time and it is a little bit of our family history . I'm still working on the mermaid and another project .I'm in a very maritime mood at the moment . 🐬x

      Delete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .