Sunday 2 July 2023

The Flower of the Fal Schooner embroidery - July update

 

Almost ran out of black crewel wool . Had to order some more and this time it was very hard to find .

                                          I decided to fill in the rose leaves .

                 Nancy suggested we stitch in the flag ...which I had to look up . 

     I was hoping it would be the nice and easy to stitch the Cornish flag of St Piran , but it was probably the Red Ensign .  Were they using this flag in 1912 ? We have earlier photos of her but it's difficult to make out the flag .

   Oh well , let me know in the comments section below  .

Anyway ......


So the Red Ensign with a teeny tiny Union Jack in the corner was very very fiddly ; but when I look at some of the real old antique sailor's ship woolies , they don't look much better , so please don't be too hard on me ! Just don't don't look too close lol ! 


So then I decided to make the whole thing wider . More stitching of sea and sky . It goes on forever !

I am no good at measuring things . I had no idea how this was going to turn out .

I still have to embroider the ship's lanterns . They were sailing through the night . That fateful cold November night. 

 

Here it is at the beginning when I pencil sketched it out on the linen . 

I have made it up as I went along and have seen it unfold before my eyes , just as you have , if you have been following along with me . 

This is not going to be framed , it is not a sampler of lovely fancy embroidery stitches , but is simply part of a family history project to pass down the story to my grandchildren ...a sort of family history rag book . 

          It is a story that has to be told !

                                           🐬⚓🐋

I want to do another one of her sailing along in sunny and happier times ..... but I want to take another look at the mermaid that I was doing before this . Return to that one with fresh eyes and see what needs to be done to finish it ....maybe it is finished ....we'll see .


                                        Have a great week all !

                                                                        ⚓   


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

💐Flora Day - Stitching Memories 💐