Friday 29 January 2021

Erica Wilson's Beginners Spring Tree Crewel Picture -part 3 -Squirrels



I tidied up that tangled bundle of wool .

This is the picture of the completed kit that comes with the kit instructions.
I have been wondering what these cute little creatures might be ? My American friends might know  . Are they Chipmunks ? The kit calls them Squirrels but they are not like the Squirrels that we have here in Cornwall , England .

We mostly have Grey Squirrels here and the Red Squirrel . I love them both .


I decided to change the chipmunks into English Red Squirrels , they are quite similar . Same colour red , it seems they just don't have the black and white stripe along the sides of their body and head . I am giving them fluffy tails with Ghiordes/Turkey stitch for fun !
 I know that Erica Wilson was originally from England and attended The Royal School of Needlework before going to live in America . So I don't think she would have minded me changing the Chipmunks to Squirrels .
 She will have been very familiar with our Squirrels that are to be seen jumping through the trees in the woodlands , parks and gardens here .
Erica became very well known and loved , both for her T.V. shows , books and many delightful kits that she designed . She was a great teacher and had such a kindly way with people and children too . She made embroidery fun , relaxed and easy. 
My favourite book of hers being "Needle Play" which showcased highlights from the T.V. show "Erica " . It would be on during the day while I was at school , but I fondly remember watching it on days when I was off sick , lying on the sofa . Some of these programmes are now on You Tube . 
A cheery sort of a little fanfare would play as she skipped past the window and in through the door , sat in her arm chair surrounded with baskets of wool and would show us how to do different styles of embroidery for no more than fifteen minutes , before she skipped out of the door and past the window again , I always wished they were longer ! 
  Maybe I'll do a bit more of the squirrels this evening , cutting those loops and trimming their tails .
 Well that's all for now, it's time for a nice cup of tea , cheerio my lovelies !
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Time to stitch and relax 🌿