Monday 27 February 2023

I'm in Anglo Saxon mood again


 I am slipping into Anglo-Saxon mood again .

 I enjoyed stitching this Anglo-Saxon brooch .

It was a brooch that was found by archaeologists in a grave in the grounds of St Augustine's Abbey Canterbury . 

It was on display in the museum there . I fell in love with it and just had to stitch it . 


I worked it in crewel wool on a piece of linen .


The brooch was inlayed with tiny pieces of glass .

The colours just sing and stir my heart .

I had wanted to couch gold thread to the metal parts of the brooch but I couldn't tell from the one photo that I had of it , if it was actually bronze , copper or gold .

I contacted the museum to ask if it would be possible for them to send me a couple of clearer , close up photos of the brooch . The lady was very nice and helpful but told me it was now not on display and  passed me over to someone else in charge of the museums store rooms and who would know more about it . 

 He told me that they could not find it ...it was lost .

A bit disappointed . It seemed to me that it was quite an important find , given where it was found .

So anyway , I didn't want to press them any further about this , since what I am doing is just a bit of a hobby really .

Anyway ......

I then spent the afternoon and well into the evening looking through the illuminations in the Book of Kells which is online . It is just so beautiful . The deeper you look at it , the more tiny details you find . The illuminations are just incredible !

Here's the link . I hope it will work for you , otherwise just google  - Book of Kells Online .

https://digitalcollections.tcd.ie/concern/works/hm50tr726?locale=en

So no , I haven't finished sorting re organising and tidying my sewing room  , but I am definitely now in Anglo-Saxon mood and being inspired about what I might want to stitch next .



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Time to stitch and relax 🌿