Tuesday 29 October 2019

Glorifilia Embroidery Kit no GL5052 Marigolds


Hello everyone , from a very windy and wet morning in Mullion !
 I pulled out this lovely kit from the pile of unfinished things and have been plodding on with it . I,m finding it very difficult  to do , yet strangely compelled to finish it .

 Reasons why ? Well firstly , the material is such loosely woven stuff , more suitable for cross stitching and secondly the instructions say to stitch with all six of the threads as pulled from the thread skein.
 In the past I am more used to stitching with only one or two of the divided threads . This makes the embroidery very heavy , I suppose to give it a more rich and Jacobean or Tudor style look .....which it does.
  The design Marigolds is beautiful , but maybe would be better stitched in crewel wool on Linen Twill , but on the other hand the cotton threads have a lovely lustre which changes as and how the light falls on it .


 I started it a couple of years ago , stuffed into my bag on a fossil hunting holiday at Charmouth .


                             Charmouth -looking towards the Golden Cap .


                                      Fossil hunting on the beach.


  Back at  the cottage , the fossils are laid out on the table , the boys are doing jigsaw puzzles ........


                         .........and I am stitching to my heart's content  ....


                          ......I like to stitch slowly , but this is going really slow , I,m finding the colour chart very confusing , some of the colours so very similar it is hard to decide which thread is meant to be used .


 Using all six threads feels so strange and chunky . My thumb has a sore patch from pushing the needle through !
I usually begin with all the most tedious areas and reward myself with a more satisfying part .  So I embroidered this little bee ....and then stuffed it all back in my bag .....fed up with it !


However two years later , those lovely Autumn colours were calling me  .


                  I pulled it out again , even more determined to finish it .


It is once again coming with me everywhere we go and I am doing a little of it every evening before bed  . Determination !


 Now I am making progress ! I even ran out of one of the colours , but the Glorifila Helpline /customer service were so nice and helpful and sent me some more ....so I can keep going  ! No excuses now !
   

                                       I,m beginning to love it !

1 comment:

  1. So very beautiful Deb. I love to embroider and used to do a lot of crewel. I gave it all away. I sure wish that I had kept some of it for myself. Love the Bee. I love Bee anything! Your fossil finds are fascinating. I have never found a fossil! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Time to stitch and relax 🌿