Friday 23 August 2019

A Cloth-Doll for my Grand-daughter .


It's doll making season again ....well it is for me . Early Autumn always fills me with dolly inspiration .


 I love making dolls and have made using patterns and some with my own patterns .
 You may remember I had begun to make an Antique Izannah Walker inspired  cloth and paper-clay doll . The pattern I am using here is the one that Dixie Redmond of Northdixie Designs has so generously shared on her blog .
 "  This doll was made with Dixie Redmond's free doll pattern "
link -  http://www.northdixiedesigns.com/2007/08/free-izannah-walker-inspired-body.html


 Her blog is delightful and full of advice and tips for making /collecting these charming dolls . Her own reproduction dolls are just so beautiful ! Do take a look at her blog at the link above .


So for me...sigh ...life happened..and my doll was put aside ....and when I took her out again ,  my absolutely gorgeous 3 year old grand-daughter looked at me with those eyes ....and said     " I want one ! "
 ...and so , I began to make a more child friendly version , all cloth doll , just for her .


                                          So here she is , as just begun .

                                    Which colour is Demelza's hair ?

With it being the beginning of Autumn here in Cornwall and how we have been enjoying Poldark on television , we thought that she should have Demelza's beautiful long red hair .
  My doll has more intricately stitched fingers and thumbs (see pictures above )..I simplified my Grand-daughter's dolly hands .


                                              What do you think ?


                            Well ..dolly loves her new red/orange hair !


  I am still working on her face...this is not too bad to start off with ..the eyes will be much bigger and I will put a few stitches in to give the impression of ears .


I want to inspire my little sweetheart grand-daughter to love embroidery and so I have stitched a good sampler of many simple stitches ....maybe soon she can have a go at a simple piece of embroidery .


               Dolly ! Are you climbing on the chair ?  Do be careful !


                                                  It could tip over !


                                            A closer look at dolly's hair .


 I have embroidered her little slippers , as Marla-Rose is inclined to take off dolls clothes and shoes and then they become lost forevermore !


 So with Autumn coming in , I am feeling inspired and have lots of needlework to do .

                                   I have pretty much finished this piece.


 I have a small piece of cork-board ready to block , straighten and flatten the piece .

 Then it will be ready for me to make into the front cover of a cloth book ....my telephone and address book !  So then I have to make up the book and I,m going to embroider the pages inside ....yes..it is going to take a long time ..but I am enjoying every minute of it .


                              I wish you a relaxing and peaceful weekend .

2 comments:

  1. Now that night is creeping so much earlier each evening, how lovely to feel those creative twinges again. The doll is absolutely beautiful and you have a very lucky grandchild there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Angel Wings Silk