Friday 21 April 2023

.. and so we set sail again !

 


             So sorry ! I had to stop off and mend those Flora Day Gloves.  💐 

                                                  ....and so we set sail again !  ⚓ 


 I haven't done very much . I just wanted to put in her figurehead  . Just a slight impression of it .

                                                She holds a red rose to her breast .

There is much folklore and superstition surrounding ships figureheads . She was said to be the spirit of the ship and was there to give the ship and the men sailing in her protection  , safety and good luck .

Later on she crossed the Atlantic to collect salted cod from New Foundland . That's one hell of a long and wild journey !   


2 comments:

  1. Aw, it took a bit of looking but I found you here! Lovely stitches. I am originally from Newfoundland where those sailors sailed to for the cod fishery. We were Britain's oldest colony til 1949 when we joined Canada. I just squeaked in being Canadian, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jocelyn 💐Thankyou for your kind and most interesting comment . I am learning so much through doing family history . It really is fascinating getting to know our ancestors . I want my grandchildren to know their stories too .

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

💐Flora Day - Stitching Memories 💐