Saturday 15 December 2018

Vintage Bernat Nativity Ring Embroidery kit W09189


I,ve been doing a little Christmas stitching , mostly before turning off the bedside lamp last thing in the evening . Not much time during the day now with Christmas fast approaching and so much to be done .
  This is a vintage crewel embroidery kit that I found on Ebay . Designed by Emile Bernat in 1976 --Bernat Yarn & Craft Corp .
   The lovely seller told me that she had started it (just one tiny purple flower petal at the top-which I left in ) and would love to see it completed and I cant wait to begin !
  So  , to begin with - sorting the colours out was very hard mainly because of the names given to the colours , which dont match up with my idea of what the colour is . If you are doing this kit , then you will know what I mean !
   My kit had lost the picture of the finished embroidery , so I had to find it online and both of the two pictures that I found were very poor quality photos..I think the original photo was very poor quality to begin with..so very hard to match up the colours .
Then there was the wool .... which is " Bernat "1-2-3PLY" Persian Type " 100% Orlon Acrylic fibres .....which is very different to my usual Appletons crewel wool . The 70's was the time when nylon was having it's heyday !  I cringe thinking about those Nylon sheets ..everything was Nylon ...anyway so this thread has quite a different feel .
The linen is quite a loose weave , better suited to cross stitch really , but , we shall persevere !
 There is also some lovely sparking gold thread .
 The medieval Nativity scene design is lovely and I am following the instructions to see how it turns out....however I will be undoing little Lord Jesus bright yellow hair , also his red face ...which I,m afraid , I just cant live with !(see the pic above ) . I might even use a much  finer thread .
  I am going to stitch this beautiful design again , using better quality linen and threads .
 At the time I found this on Ebay I noticed that there was another one listed in America ....which had also been started ..if you are the lucky person that bought it ,  I,d love to know how you coming along with it  .
  Not sure if I,ll complete it in time for this Christmas , but it has been a nice meditative piece to embroider over Advent .
    Wishing you all a Peaceful and blessed Christmas  .

1 comment:

  1. This is going to be an amazing project. I'm looking toward to seeing how you put it all together.
    There is nothing as sweet as having friends praying for you.
    We appreciate it it so much, Thank you :) Steve has another doctor appointment Thursday so we are hoping for a better report.
    Merry Christmas.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Angel Wings Silk