Wednesday 4 September 2019

A Crewel Embroidered Bed cover and Pillows for the new Cloth Doll


I began to make the doll's clothes , I had cut out the patterns and these , at present are spread out over my table . Due to hospital appointments I couldn't begin to make them up . So needed to put together a small hand sewing project I could do while in the hospital waiting room .
 I decided to make the new cloth doll (17th century) a set of bed covers and pillows .


 I quickly drew on a simple pattern with a pencil and grabbed a handfull of crewel wool , a needle and my scissors and stuffed them into my handbag .

                                                 Poppet Ælfwynn
 Actually I had a little helper who came to start it off for me . I know there are a lot of you out there , who love old dolls/poppets .
    I have a soft spot for cloth/rag dolls . This is one of my favourite dolls . She is an English historical re-enactment doll , dressed in 1400-1500 period clothes .
   I have been trying to find out who made her . 
              I love her and she is very helpful as you can see .


                             Easy to roll up and stuff into my handbag .


 It it surprising how many little empty moments of "waiting" we have in our lives ....I quickly stitched this while waiting at the petrol station .


                      Waiting for our lunch at the local supermarket cafe .


 I sat in the hospital waiting room stitching away , while waiting for my husband who had a very long appointment with the doctor .


                              I managed to complete the middle flower .
    Very fluffy blue wool , for some reason ....but it's o.k ..this doesn't have to be perfect..it's just for a dolly's bed .


   I,ve been doing a little more , propped up on my pillows, before sleep ....
                   .............sometimes forgetting how late it is !

                                                  Slow stitching ......
   Nice and easy , making it up as I go along , slow and comforting crewel embroidery . 17th century style bed cover for the new cloth doll .
  To be continued ......   :)

2 comments:

  1. SUch a lucky doll! Lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy ....I,m having such fun playing with all this ! :) x

      Delete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Seraphim - green and gold ...maybe