Saturday 27 October 2018

Izannah Walker Dolly


Just two days ago we we're down on  Poldhu Cove in short sleeved t-shirts , sitting at the pic-nic tables , enjoying chocolate ice-creams from Poldhu Beach  Cafe and watching all the happy families and surfers having fun on the beach ...last night the weather changed..the wind blowing from the North and heavy icy squalls ....we must  have had lightning because the clock on my cooker had stopped and it's light was flashing on and off .
 We,ve lit the fire for the first time this year and I,m glad I brought a good pile of logs in .....brrrr ...it was chilly when I let the dog out first thing and there were hail stones on the front lawn .


 And so to work ..... Izannah Walker is said to be one of America's earliest doll makers ,born 1817 , Bristol , Rhode Island  .
 Now then , I dont have any pictures of an original antique Izannah Walker doll.... but there are plenty to be found online if you search the name .
 ... and if you do look it up you too will fall in love with that sweet face !
  I have been reading Dixie Redmond's fantastic journal - http://www.northdixiedesigns.com/   where she has many wonderful pictures of both old dolls and many of her own beautiful creations . She has very generously given a free pattern for the doll's body .
 She also gives workshops , if you live close enough .. I live a whole ocean away , so will just have to do my best and follow her instructions on the journal .
   I have been gathering everything I need to make one and am going to give it a go .


 I have made many , many cloth dolls before but only used clay on my tiny weeny  dolls house size poppets and dolls . Painting with gesso and sculpting clay onto cloth is a new and scary thing for me .


 I,m actually going to make two dolls with Dixie's free pattern. One for me and one for my three year old sweetheart granddaughter ...but first it will be the Angel on the top of the Christmas tree , Grandma will give it to her sometime  during the Christmas festivities :)

 

My one is stuffed with upholsterers shredded rags stuffing ...it is what my Grandmother used to stuff her home made teddies and dolls with , it packs in nicely and firmly and gives a good weight too . I think the weight is important .
  My granddaughter's doll will be stuffed with the health and safety grade polyester stuffing that we are now told to use ... she will be the Angel on the Christmas tree , so probably better to be lighter in weight anyway .


 I made a small dart at the neck to give a little more shape to the chin .


I used a pencil to poke in the stuffing and stitched the knee and elbow joints with a couple of stitches .


I stitched on the thumbs , reducing the size a little bit and hand-stitched the fingers .
 I wont bother stitch the fingers on my Granddaughter's doll , I will keep it very simple .

So this is where I,m up to ...I,m painting on the gesso..and now it has to be left to set before putting on the clay .
  While it is drying I,m going to go and sort out some nice fabric for the dolly's clothes .
  That's all for now......see you again soon ! Keep cosy and warm ....go and get your flu jab !

1 comment:

  1. ..that looks very promising, I am looking forward to the end result and wish you a nice and warm weekend ..

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Time to stitch and relax 🌿