Friday 3 November 2017

Anglo-Saxon Needles


  I bought these gorgeous repro Anglo-Saxon/viking needles , handmade at the forge of Dennis Riley of Daegrad Tools . Makers of all sorts of things for Living  History and re-enactment .


                They are beautifully made , sharp , fully functional needles .
  I,m still not sure if my project will become a needlecase or a brooch  .
Maybe it could be both . Maybe I could make a larger needlework bag that it could be tied into .
   What else do I need ?  Scissors ? Well no, but they would  have used snips..like tiny sheep sheering sheers . ..or a knife in a leather sheath .
 I have a beautiful pair of Japanese snips , but they wouldn't look right ..I wonder if Dennis makes Anglo-Saxon snips ?
 I would love to go back in time , just for a short time , to meet the craftsmen and see how they did things .
They did a kind of crochet stitch with a large wooden needle , called nalbinding , I have already made some of these , but tomorrow I am going to have a go at making some sewing needles out of Hawthorn thorns from my hedgerow .
  It is very therapeutic whittling things out of wood , it will be raining tomorrow , so that will be a nice thing to do beside the fire .


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Time to stitch and relax 🌿