Friday 27 October 2017

Anglo - Saxon Brooch Zoomorphic Doves


                             What do you think  ?  Could they be doves ?
Zoomorphic - the representation of animal forms in decorative art/ jewellery .


I embroidered the edge of the brooch with a dark olive ..it might be the edge of the brooch or maybe just it's shadow ....but if I make it into a needlecase , then this is where I could sew on a bead for fastening it . I haven,t decided yet what it will become..maybe a brooch ?


                         Now more fun ..adding colour ...I might go over the red and yellow spots , just to make them a tiny bit larger ...but they seem to be flat glass inlays on the actual brooch rather than jewels ..so I want to keep them flat .


                                      Some crewel wool from my hoard.
    American crafters have  "a stash ".....  English crafters have " a  hoard " ! :)


At first sight , I thought the whole of the ribbon cross was blue , but on further inspection it is only half blue and the other half is several shades of green .
 I can see where the little bits of glass have been dropped in..it is amazing and so beautiful !
 I have asked the St Augustine Museum in Canterbury for more information about this brooch and am waiting for some answers ..such as where it was found...who it might be associated with ..what metal is it made of ?
     I forgot to ask how big is it ?
 I,d also like to see some better photos of it as the only two that I,ve found on the internet are not very clear .
  So  I sent a message to the museum and Dito kindly put me in touch with Craig ( who is away at the moment ) I,m waiting to hear back from Craig who is in charge of the collections in the museum  .
It's just too far away for me to visit , although I would like to get there one day .


 Anyway , it's all so interesting and I,m so enjoying myself with all the learning and embroidering this Anglo Saxon brooch .


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from you and always do my best to reply .

Seraphim - green and gold ...maybe